Based on our exercise, we realized we needed to understand the museum's point of view more, so we set up interviews with professionals who worked with or at these organizations. These interviews were to empathize with a new audience, but we were also looking to potentially partner with a museum to execute the project.
At this point in our process, we were considering many avenues for a final product and deciding whether we wanted to partner with a local museum, use a space at Northeastern, or create a pop-up museum that explored our ideas. We decided to pursue a partnership because we thought that although we would need to deal with museum bureaucracy, it would give us the best opportunity to deal with space and a large collection of work. We were originally most interested in the MFA due to its proximity, traditional space, large collection, and it was a good example of the problems we identified.
We eventually ended up partnering with the Harvard Art Museums due to their extensive API and their interest and support of working with a student group. Although we have made a point not to brand our product as a Harvard Art Museums app, much of our capabilities are only possible because of their large effort to digitize their collection, thus serving as an example for what is possible if a museum makes such a commitment.